Sunday, November 14, 2010

What a Nice Article to Stumble Upon

This is an article I came across while just surfing the Internet. It came from: LONG ISLAND VIEWS


Reasons to Be Cheerful, Part Four: Codfuel.com

Last week, I ordered my first oil delivery of the season. My last delivery was back in March so I was due for a fill-up. As I have done, since discovering the site last winter, I ordered my heating oil through Codfuel.com. They service Long Island and the surrounding region. The site serves as a clearinghouse where participating heating oil distributors can post their prevailing price per gallon. These prices are much cheaper than your contract oil dealers. In fact, you can call around and check this very easily.

Go to Codfuel.com and look around; simply enter your zip code and you are free to peruse the list of heating oil distributors servicing your area. Many post a cash and a credit price per gallon with discounts depending on the amount of gallons you order. The more you order the cheaper it is and if you pay cash, you can save an additional 10 cents per gallon in most cases. I ordered last week because I saw the price of crude edging up with the stock market rally and I had been watching the prices for a few weeks.

As usual, my household will make this fill-up last as long as possible. When it gets cold, we turn to the fireplace in the den. We have two heating zones, upstairs and downstairs, so it never makes much sense to us to heat the whole downstairs when we can all keep warm in the den. Even though the price of oil has come down significantly since last winter, we all can still strive to save money on our heating bills; it is one of those bills that we can control. Throughout my entire existence, starting from growing up in my mother's house and now in my house with my family, the maximum thermostat setting for heat has always been 65 degrees. The same temperature as the lovely day outside that everyone was raving about today. Generally we keep it a few degrees below that and we always turn it down when we are not at home and when we go to bed.

Anyhow, I digress. The most important point about Codfuel.com is the huge savings over the contract heating oil companies. What most of us don't know is that when you sign their yearly service contract, you pay at least $1 more per gallon. Sure that contract includes your "free" annual checkup and preferential maintenance but it also requires you to accept automatic refills. If you do the math, you will see how that service contract benefits the oil company more than it benefits you. For every 1000 gallons of oil they deliver, they collect an extra $1000 dollars so all of that service isn't free, is it? If you had to call an independent oil heating system maintenance person for service, would it cost you $1000 dollars? I don't think so. So, quit your contract, save your money and use Codfuel.com. They should thank me for this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I do not have a fireplace (I envy you). As a retiree, I have to order at the lowest possible rates. When I was working, I had a fuel oil company that I used exclusively but no contract. I have beet very satisfied with the service I have been getting from "Codfuel". That's "Codfuel", not the other 'C. O. D. with oil in it's name.